Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Sentences of Scripture at Evening Prayer


________

Morning Prayer      Common Prayer Index     Evening Prayer
________


Sentences of Scripture

Appointed for use at Daily Evening Prayer


WHEN the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his foul alive.  Ezekiel 18. 27.

I acknowledge my transgressions, and my fin is ever before me.  Psalm 51. 3.

Hide thy face from my fins, and blot out all mine iniquities.  Psalm 51. g.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.  Psalm 51. 17.

Rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God : for he is gracious and merciful, flow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.  Joel 2. 13.

To the Lord our God belong mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him: neither have we obeyed the voice of the Lord our God, to walk in his laws which he fet before us.  Daniel 9. 9, 10.

O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing.  Jeremiah 10. 24. Psalm 6. 1.

Repent ye; for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.  S. Matthew 3. 2.

I will arise, and go to my Father ; and will fay unto him, Father, I have finned against heaven, and before thee, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.  S. Luke 15. 18, 19.

Enter not into judgment with thy servant, O Lord; for in thy fight shall no man living be justified.  Psalm 143. 2.

THE LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.  Habakkuk 2. 20,

LORD, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honor dwelleth. Psalm 26. 8.

Let my prayer be set forth in thy sight as the incense; and let the lifting up of my hands be an evening sacrifice.  Psalm 141. 2.

O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness; let the whole earth stand in awe of him. Psalm 96. 9.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be alway acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength and my redeemer.  Psalm 19. 14.

I will thank the Lord for giving me counsel; my heart also chastens me in the night season. I have set the Lord always before me; he is at my right hand; therefore I shall not fall.  Psalm 16. 8, 9.

Advent.
 
Watch ye, for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cock-crowing, or in the morning: lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.  S. Mark 13. 35, 36.

Christmas.

Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.  Revelation 21. 3. 

Epiphany.

The Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.  Isaiah 60. 3.

Lent.

I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.  Psalm 51. 3.

To the Lord our God belong mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him; neither have we obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in his laws which he set before us.  Daniel 9. 9, 10.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in US; but if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  I S. John 1. 8, 9.

Good Friday.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.  Isaiah 53. 6.

Easter.

Thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  I Corinthians 15. 57.

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.  Colossians 3. I.

Ascension.

Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us.  Hebrews 9. 24.

Whitsunday.

There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the City of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the Most High.  Psalm xlvi. 4.

The Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.  Revelation 22. 17.

Trinity Sunday.

Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.  Isaiah 6. 3. 

Thanksgiving Day.

The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens. By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.  Proverbs 3. 19, 20.

________

note: The first four sentences above for Evening Prayer were not retained in the American Prayer Book of 1789, but remain in the English Prayer Book.

note: Some sentences appear in both the Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer.

________




No comments:

Post a Comment