Saturday, August 3, 2024

Preparatory Prayers of the Celebrant




Preparation Before the Altar

   The Priest and Ministers, having made ready, approach the Holy Table of the Altar, and make the accustomed reverence; and then proceed to say the following preparatory prayers, standing on the floor before the lowest Altar step. Nothing is said at the Altar or on the steps thereof until the Mass of the Catechumens is actually begun.

   The Priest makes the Sign of the Cross from forehead to breast, saying:

IN the Name of the Father,  and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.

   Then with hands joined before his breast he begins the Antiphon:

I will go unto the altar of God.

   R/.  Even unto the God of my joy and gladness.

   Then the Priest and  Ministers say alternately the following Psalm.  In Masses for the dead, and in Masses of the Season from Passion Sunday to Holy Saturday inclusive, the Psalm is omitted, in which case the Antiphon only is said once, and having said Our help , Confession is made.

Psalm 43.

GIVE sentence with me, O God, and defend my cause against the ungodly people ; O deliver me from the deceitful and wicked man.

   R/.  For thou art the God of my strength; why hast thou put me from thee? and why go I so heavily, while the enemy oppresseth me?

   ℣.   O send out thy light and thy truth, that they may lead mee, and bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy dwelling.

   R/.   And that I may go unto the altar of God, even unto the God of my joy and gladness; and upon the harp will I give thanks unto thee, O God, my God.

   ℣.   Why art thou so heavy, O my soul? and why art thou so disquieted within me?

   R/.   O put thy trust in God; for I will yet give him thanks, which is the help of my countenance, and my God.

   ℣.   Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost;

   R/.   As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

   The Priest repeats the Antiphon:

   I will go unto the altar of God.

   R/.  Even unto the God of my joy and gladness.

   He signs himself with the sign of the Cross, saying:

   ℣.   Our help  is in thee Name of the Lord.

   R/.   Who hath made heaven and earth.

   Then with hands joined, bowing profoundly, he says the Confession. And since sin is an offence not only against God, but against the Mystical Body of Christ as well, confession is made to representatives thereof 

I CONFESS to Almighty God, to blessed Virgin Mary, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, to all the Saints, and to you, brethren, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed: (Here he strikes his breast thrice)  through my fault, through my own fault, through my own most grievous fault. Therefore I beg ever blessed Virgin Mary, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Saints, and you, brethren, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

   The Ministers ask God to accept his Confession:

ALMIGHTY God have mercy upon thee, forgive thee thy sins, and bring thee to everlasting life.

   P.   Amen.

   He stands erect, and the Ministers repeat the Confession.

I CONFESS to Almighty God, to blessed Virgin Mary, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, to all the Saints, and to you, brethren, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed: (Here strike the breast thrice) through my fault, through my own fault, through my own most grievous fault. Therefore I beg ever blessed Virgin Mary, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Saints, and thee, Father, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

   The Priest, with hands joined, asks God to accept our Confession:

ALMIGHTY God have mercy upon you, forgive you your sins, and bring you to everlasting life.

   He makes the Sign of the Cross from forehead to breast, praying for full absolution:

THE Almighty and merciful Lord  grant us pardon, absolution, and remission of our sins.

   R/.   Amen.

   Bowing, he asks for spiritual renewal:

   ℣.   Wilt thou not turn again and quicken us, O God

   R/.   That thy people may rejoice in thee

   ℣.   O Lord, shew thy mercy upon us.

   R/.   And grant us thy salvation.

   ℣.   Lord, hear my prayer.

   R/.   And let my cry come unto thee.







No comments:

Post a Comment