Friday, October 7, 2011

Some thoughts by Bonhoeffer & Neimoller

"It is infinitely easier to suffer in obedience to a human command than to accept suffering as free, responsible men. It is infinitely easier to suffer with others than to suffer alone. It is infinitely easier to suffer as public heroes than to suffer apart and in ignominy. It is infinitely easier to suffer physical death than to endure spiritual suffering. Christ suffered as a free man alone, apart and in ignominy, in body and in spirit, and since that day many Christians have suffered with him."
-- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Letters and Papers from Prison.

First they came for the communists,and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
-- Martin Niemoller
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came%E2%80%A6

No comments:

Post a Comment