Saturday, October 14, 2023

Sentences of Scripture at Morning Prayer


Sentences of Scripture
Appointed for use at Daily Morning Prayer

WHEN the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his foul alive.  Ezekiel 18. 27.

I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.  Psalm 51. 3.

Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.  Psalm 51. 9.

To the Lord our God belong mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him: neither have we obeyed the voice of the Lord our God, to walk in his laws which he set before us.  Daniel 9. 9, 10.

O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing.   Jeremiah 10. 24. Psalm 6. 1.

Enter not into judgment with thy servant, O Lord; for in thy fight shall no man living be justified.  Psalm 143. 2.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us: But if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1 S. John 1. 8, 9.

THE LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.  Habakkuk 2. 20.

I was glad when they said unto me, We will go into the house of the LORD.  Psalm 122. 1.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be alway acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength and my redeemer.  Psalm 19. 14.

O send out thy light and thy truth, that they may lead me, and bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy dwelling.  Psalm 43. 3.

Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.  Isaiah 57. 15.

The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.  St. John 4. 23. 

Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.  Philippians 1. 2 .

Advent.    Repent ye; for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand.  St. Matthew 3. 2.

Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.  Isaiah 40. 3.

Christmas.    Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.  St. Luke 2. 10, 11.

Epiphany.    From the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my Name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my Name, and a pure offering: for my Name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts.  Malachi 1. 11.

Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem.  Isaiah 52. 1.

Lent.    Rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.  Joel 2. 13.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.  Psalm 51. 17.

I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.  St. Luke 15. 18, 19.

Good Friday.    Is it nothing to you, all ye that pass by? behold, and see if there be any sorrow like unto my sorrow which is done unto me, wherewith the LORD hath afflicted me.  Lamentations 1. 12.

In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace.  Ephesians 1. 7.

If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.  Mark 8:34   [ACNA 2019]

Easter.    He is risen. The Lord is risen indeed.  St. Mark 16. 6; St. Luke 24. 34.

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalm 118. 24.

If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Colossians 3:1  [ACNA 2019]

Ascension.    Seeing that we have a great High Priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.  Hebrews 4. 14, 16.

Whitsunday.    Ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.  Acts 1. 8.

Because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.  Galatians 4. 6.

Trinity Sunday,    Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.  Revelation 4. 8.

Thanksgiving Day.    Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the first fruits of all thine increase: so shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.  Proverbs 3. 9, 10.

The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens. By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.  Proverbs 3. 19, 20.

________


note: The first seven sentences above for Morning Prayer were not retained in the American Prayer Book of 1789, but remain in the English Prayer Book.

note: Some sentences appear in both the Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer.

________



No comments:

Post a Comment